Free School Meals information
Free School Meals
We have had some queries from parents regarding the free school meals that we are providing for families. Following Government guidelines these are only being sent to those families who qualify for the benefits related free school meals. They are not being provided to children who receive a free school meal under the Universal Infant Free School Meal scheme
The criteria for benefit related meals have been taken from the government website at:
and are as follows:
“Your child may be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)”
The following is the guidance that schools have received from the Government about Universal Infant Free School Meals and a quote from it.
“What about infants that receive a free meal under universal infant free school meals?
It is right that schools concentrate their effort and resources on those who are eligible for benefits-related free school meals at this time. There is no requirement to continue to provide universal infant free school meals to pupils in reception, year 1, or year 2 who are unable to attend school. Children in those year groups who are eligible for benefits-related free school meals will be supported.”
If you think that you may meet any of the criteria above for benefits related free school meals, especially for families whose circumstances have changed in light of Covid 19, please contact Somerset County Council to see if you qualify.
I hope that this answers your questions. If you have any further queries please email the school office and someone will get back to you.